Sometimes, you find it tough to find out your favourite website as, your computer don’t know the route. There are ways to get the website visible and that is with the help of DNS.
What’s a DNS server?
“www.abcd.com” is the street address of a particular website. In order to figure out the “driving directions,”if, your computer contacts a special server that is called DNS, for Domain Name Systemfor figuring out the route. The serve will show you “abcd.com” actually means “201.25.363.2” This number is the IP address that shows where where “abcd” actually belongs to.
If at all your DNS server that you are using goes down… It’s really easy to get that fixed as it is like your computer that no longer has GPS! Here you can easily switch to another public DNS server for resolving the issue you are facing.
How Does A DNS Server Helpful For Your Privacy?
By default, every computer you use probably reaches out to a DNS server that is controlled by your internet service provider (ISP), as per the Comcast or AT&T. This means, that they can easily get to know about the websites you visit. As they have got your name as well as address, they are able to build a theoretical and fairly complete profile of you.
When you use a DNS server provided by a different company, they can also record your info, but it is really tough for them to figure out that who exactly is browsing the websites and that makes the whole data less valuable.
So Here Is What You Need To Do To Change DNS On Windows?
- Click on Start and type “Network Status” there.
Or you can right-click on the Wi-Fi icon on your device and choose the Open Network and Internet settings.
- Now, click on the option of Change Adapter Settings.
- Now, you need to right-click on your active network connection, and then click Properties.
- After that left-click on the Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and then, click on Properties.
- Now, you have to hit on the “Use the following DNS server addresses:” option and type in any one of the public DNS server addresses given below:
18.104.22.168 = CloudFlare DNS
22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199 = GoogleDNS
188.8.131.52 or 184.108.40.206 = OpenDNS
220.127.116.11 or 18.104.22.168 = VeriSign Public DNS
22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199 = DNS.Watch
Note: While doing the whole process, you may need to try more than one option in order to get your sites working. OpenDNS has helped us with Twitter and Netflix outage way back in 2016, but Google DNS contradicted that.
How Can You Change DNS On Mac?
- First of all,System Preferences
- Then, go toNetworkoption.
- Click on the Advancedoption.
- Then, click on the DNS tab.
- After that press the little + sign present at the lower left in order to add a new DNS server.
- Type any of the above suggested numbers for Windows numbers of a public DNS server.
- Then, click OK
- And finally, click Apply.
- Here You are DONE.